Friday, November 4, 2011

in search of a Messiah

Hello world!

There are these great moments in Jeeves and Wooster stories when Bertie starts describing people as being like lions or tigers (often tigers protecting cubs or lions being bearded in dens) in defense of some principle, person, or piece of property.  I begin here because I feel I'm sort of entering Wodehouse-ish territory in my search for a Messiah this holiday season.

And I don't mean a baby in a straw bed.  I mean the piece by Handel, one of my all-time favorites ever ever.  To participate in the chorus of, to listen to, just to be near--but mostly to sing the alto solos of.  "But Who May Abide" and "O Thou that Tellest" were the first real pieces of classical music I learned to sing...which would actually be an argument for me hating them as much as I'd hate ever to sing "Star vicino"* again, except that they're so wonderful.

Anyway, I've been going on the offensive.  And possibly the very offensive.  Like a lion with cubs to protect, I have been fiercely propositioning people regarding me singing any Messiah they happen to have heard of.  I have bothered a man coming out of major surgery; I have emailed someone I've never met.  My next plan is to email someone I have met but I think will know of ones only already equipped with alto soloists.  But I'm not leaving stones unturned here.

So, Universe, and anyone happening to read this blog, if you know of any Messiahs without alto soloists, think of me!  I have a fancy red dress and everything!

Sincerely,
"Bumbling towards Bethlehem" Couden

*perfectly pleasant song; even cars could not draw it from my vocal apparatus ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment