Friday, September 16, 2011

CCPAS concert!

(In the words that Crow puts into Eegah's mouth [if you don't understand, PLEASE don't worry about it]):

Hi again!

(endquote.  THAT was worth it.)

I'm doing pieces from Bach's Magnificat and Handel's Alcina with some friends for a concert being put on by the Contra Costa Performing Arts Society on October 11th, and I want to tell you about it!  CCPAS is a volunteer organization, in which members put on short concerts for the public on Tuesday evenings and Friday mornings, as well as sponsoring things like master classes and competitions for local high school and college students*.  Each concert is comprised of about an hour of music--usually three ensembles or soloists, playing 20 minutes worth of music each.  Concerts are held at one of a few locations, generally Grace Presbyterian Church, located near Rossmoor in Walnut Creek at 2100 Tice Valley Boulevard.

This is the program for my 20-minute segment of the October 11th concert:

"Et misericordia" -- Magnificat -- Brian Chu, tenor / Sara Couden, alto
"Esurientes" -- Magnificat -- Sara Couden, alto
"Suscepit Israel" -- Magnificat -- Felicia Chen, soprano I / Jennifer Kay, soprano II / Sara Couden, alto
"E gelosia" -- Alcina -- Sara Couden: Bradamante
"Non e amor ne gelosia" -- Alcina -- Felicia Chen: Alcina / Jennifer Kay: Ruggiero / Sara Couden:  Bradamante
Skye Atman, piano

I'm excited about this concert, because I get to sing with all my friends!  Brian and Jenn and I go way back--I owe everything I know about awesome TV (and so much more) to Brian, and a whole lot of gas mileage to Jenn for all those trips to Santa Cruz and Davis.  She made a great Violetta to my Giorgio Germont when we were nerding out in the car one night.  And Felicia is the queen of the Baroque ornament, so I am very excited that she agreed to sing!!

Also, the Magnificat is just ridiculously beautiful.  The "Esurientes" is the only happy solo for contralto of Bach's that I've ever come across--I usually like my music superficially sad, but the "Esurientes" is so beautiful that I don't even mind it being in a major key--and the "Et misericordia" and "Suscepit Israel" are meltingly lovely.

Also-also, the concert is free, and on the right side of the bridge!  (Well, for some people.)

Anyway, thanks for your time.

*I am actually chair of the High School Vocal Competition.  If your high school-aged students are local to Contra Costa or Alameda Counties and interested in competing in a classical singing competition, or if you'd like to become a CCPAS member and enroll some non-local high school students, please get in touch with me!  It's a relaxed and caring atmosphere, and (hopefully) a good experience.  Enrollment is only $20!  (Yes, this is my version of the hard sell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment