Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Things I Like

Hey, this blog is picking up steam!  Well, insofar as I'm figuring out what I want to put on it (content is still a bit on the random side). 

Such as this, a recording my friend made of a cover of the Dire Straits song "Romeo and Juliet..."


I don't know if this is appropriate or anything; I just thought it was beautiful and wanted to share.

Like most of the classical singers I know, I like a lot of different kinds of music.  Just a brief sample of the different kinds of music that classical singers (real live ones I know!) like, listed by voice type and genre of choice:
Dramatic Tenor--country, Christian, and Bieber
Lyric Tenor--soundtracks, Glee recordings, anime music, songs from Rock Band
Lyric Mezzo--classic metal, Plain White T's, John Mayer
Lyric Mezzo--most anything folk-inspired from the '70's (and a whole lot of other stuff)
Contralto (okay it's me)--hardcore alternative, female songstresses, funk
Dramatic Baritone--The Smiths

I think most of us are pretty fond of classical as well, but I think we're usually way less critical and snobby about music than people expect us to be.  I mean, I can get really pissy about music I don't like, but I do like a lot of music.  I guess my point is, if you're ever around a classical singer, don't worry about only discussing classical music!  Bring up the Beatles!  Mention the Yeah Yeah Yeahs!  Mickey and Sylvia!  That one Glee mash-up!  Random words I am spouting!  Tina Turner's "Goldeneye."  Mmm.  Now there's a recording.

Yes, and now it's "Sara Couden's Useful Tips on How to Deal with Classical Singers."  THAT's going in the labels bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment