Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Euouae Concert

Hi, all!

Just a couple of points about this listing on my "Calendar" page:

1. It sounds like it will be AWESOME,

and 2. Why I chose to list a choral concert (because everyone cares, I am positive).

1.: Sven Olbash writes in his blog, http://euouae.com:

"Since we are primarily a medieval ensemble, for us for the chant is not a side dish, but the main course. We present new interpretations of the Gregorian melodies that capture something of the ecstatic spontaneity of the ancient chants alongside later polyphonic works. Having premiered over 40 works as a recitalist and during four seasons with the new music ensemble Volti, often in collaboration with the composers, I bring the same approach to the Medieval and Renaissance repertoires, treating them not as museum pieces but as something innovative, modern, and at times shocking. To imagine the experience the original performers had when encountering this polyphonic music for the first time, ensemble members steep themselves in the chant tradition from which it evolved."

Awesome, right?

2.: The "Calendar" page is meant to list performances in which I have solos.  As much as I love doing choral stuff (it's a whole lot, by the way), the sara.couden.net platform is that of me as a soloist.  But I've decided to include stuff where I get to sing by myself on a line, based on the principle that contraltos can't be super-choosy about what they consider solo work.  We're a little bit like violists in that regard.  I don't get to sing by myself in the Beatrice et Benedict either (though, again, I'd advocate coming to that concert because the music is going to be beautiful, not because I'm singing, solo or otherwise), but it seems unreasonable to include large choral concerts on what's supposed to be a list of places to hear me sing (I would 100% advocate going to any SF Symphony Chorus concert, whether I'm singing with the chorus or not, but it seems a bit like false advertising to list an SFSC concert I'm involved in as a place where one could hear me, if you see the distinction).  So despite Euouae being a choral ensemble, I'm listing it on the site because I am alone on a part sometimes. 

And I'm not really sure why I think you'd care about this, gentle reader.  But just for the sake of making the rules of the sara.couden.net experience VERY CLEAR, I am offering the above information.  You're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment